Skip to main content

Are you the new kid in town?

It has been a while since I last blogged.... it has not only been the lack of time but also the lack of energy. I have had loads of things to share yet I decided to take sometime off just to reflect and think about the things that are worth sharing; After all, everything here can be read by the public and sometimes even though we share life adventures with an specific purpose this time I am hoping to reach those people who are about to embark in a new chapter in their lives.

Yes, my friends, you know who you are....
First of all, I always say, change is good, regardless the circumstances, change brings us experience, new air, new people so just take a deep breathe and relax........ ok! perhaps take another deep breathe and enjoy!

Recently my family and I have embarked in a new journey, we have decided to move houses, for many reasons but the main and most simple, to simplify what was turning out to be a complicated life for the young one and I. 
For some, moving houses is not a big deal, it was not a big deal for me when I was younger and I was able to basically pack a backpack and travel the world with no bother. Yet when one has kids, things change, it is not only your belongings but a massive amount of things  that belong to the child. Our case, from his toy kitchen that has been properly set with all his toy pots and pans, plastic veggies and fruits, plastic food cans and so on. Plus all his extended lego collection and never mind the other bits and bobs that my dear love of my life, the owner of my every penny I own, happens to own. 
So far it has been a "smooth" ride, we are all enjoying our new place. I am able to enjoy the sunrise and sunset from our kitchen window... I have a partial view of the ocean from both the kitchen and the balcony on our third floor flat. I can see people going to work everyday, taking the train or waiting for the bus, same people that I see arrive home after work with a less energetic note. I am just happy to see people, and yes, no dead people thank you very much, all alive, I think..., I hope o.O!

At the moment and for some bizarre reason, I happen to know quite a lot of people that are ready to embark into a new life, either going back to their own countries or moving out of their countries to look for a better life... 
The world has changed so much that we are always looking for better places to be, for our families sake or for our own personal sake. This blog is more for those that are leaving their nests and flying into new horizons.

The things that I have learned and I know some will seem very obvious but it is only until you taste the glorious nectar that other cultures and countries can offer that you realize how something so obvious becomes so important and not so obvious at the same time.

BELONG..... become part of the place that you just moved into... do not expect people that are there to change, they have nothing to change, it is you and you alone the one that has to adapt. So, open your mind, watch and learn....
 Take always your time, moving to another country is never easy regardless of  how nice the people are, or how welcoming the country is... keep watching!
Learn about your benefits... medical, government schemes for families with children if that is your case, even if you have a hefty bank account it never hurts to see what sort of schemes you can apply, every little counts. 
Like I know for Canadians the government makes deposits every month for every child into a trust fund that can only be accessed when the child turns 18. (at least the scheme existed back in 2003).

DO NOT pick a place far away, find a nice town, village or city..... That was our first mistake, we wanted something new, something close to the area we knew we would end up moving at some stage yet that brought us isolation. We were situated in a very handy estate for somebody that has a car, but I do not own one and wanting/having to go anywhere meant having to take the bus or walk at least 25 min to the closest shops. It is better to be in a smaller place where you can walk to the shops within 10 mins and main amenities specially if you do not know if you are buying a car or using public transport. 
I am not saying move to downtown where all the action is, some cities centers might not be suitable for children but at least to an area with all the amenities from good restaurants, good shops to buy food, entertainment and so on within walking distance. 

BLEND, do not act like a new comer, just act confident all the time. It is so easy to spot somebody when it has just landed or are new the area, hence becoming a liability, I am not saying that all people are bad and have bad intentions yet better be safe than sorry.

Stay simple, simplify your life, at least for the first couple of months until you are somewhat settled. Do not go crazy buying things that you might not actually need. For me for example, at some point in my life I thought I would never be able to be without a microwave, well, let me tell you we have not owned one for over two years and I do not miss it, even now that we have one available in the new place, I look at it and I want to do is use the space for storage instead of using it for its purpose. So, just keep your life simple. The less the better flow of energy! 

If you have children, start looking at the schools, I know it can be hard to mix both things, a big move, choosing the area where to live, yet it is important. For us the school was a priority, yet I never in my wildest dreams imagined what a big deal school was going to be here. Basically it comes down to religion, either you are catholic or protestant and depending on that and the catchment area its the school you are allowed to go to. It is messy and it takes time, sometimes you need to move houses to actually be within the catchment area and that can be tricky so start researching and finding if you want your children to go to public schools or to private. Some schools specially in the Americas have waiting lists. Sooo keep that in mind. Do not think that you should worry about schools later, Worry NOW! 

IKEA, we always end up running to the biggest place on earth to buy our things for a new place or just to add to our ongoing collection of Swedish items. LOVE the place, yet it is pure and evil.... make a list, stick to it! Best place for pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, glasses and all the kitchen basics, along with all the bedroom/bathroom basics.

Enroll yourself to the membership cards, points, discounts or whatever shops have to offer! From the grocery store to the petrol station, all the points are good! Discounts or little perks are always welcomed! 
Find your people and the stores that sell products from home! It is important that you find a group of people in your area, people with the same nationality, religion, background, interests and so on.... whatever tickles your fancy! But SOCIALIZE! It is the best way and fastest way to start making friends, meeting people! You are starting your own circle of friends.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adopted?! How did I find out?!

All my beautiful places include also the unseen, the heart! * Most of you know this about me, some of you don't know I actually know and think you are keeping a great secret and the rest probably don't even care. Some wonder how did it happen? How come did I find out? Why then? Who told me "the truth"?  I am not ashamed to share it with the world because I truly feel blessed and I would love to help people understand and realize that adopting a child should come from the heart, its love in its purest form and truly there is nothing wrong. If its your case, give yourself the chance to open up to the possibility of giving somebody that was not wanted/liked/needed by their own blood a chance to have a decent home with you. It could be "your chance" to make the difference to change somebody's life and transform it into what life should be about, selfless love and caring. Look at me, I am where I am because unselfish people decided to give

It has been a year!

Only a few days away from being able to say that we have survived the first year! I look back and it seems like yesterday that we arrived after that horrible experience we had traveling here, when somebody "mistakenly" took all our passports and boarding passes on the plane, months later everything appeared in a hotel miles away somewhere in Germany, including the cash that I've had stored in the travel pouch that was taken...  (trying to explain the experience as positive as possible, as it has been left in the past) just take it as a reminder to always carry with you a digital copy of your documents and to have an extra ID on you all the time of course in a separate place. I have to say that it has been tough, for sure tougher than what I expected, people do get emotionally hurt after a recension and I am guessing they get concerned when they see the loads of immigrants invading their country fighting for jobs and even for places to rent, specially

Lets give this blogger a test run!

  I have been giving it a lot of thought about starting a blog or not and I have decided to do it. A few days back I was asked by a friend to help her "pimp" her own blog which actually helped me decide, so thank you Viv. I am very fond of reading, sometimes I do not have the time or energy to do it but at least I try to read something every night before going to bed. I do follow blogs from friends and even from people that I have not yet met but their way of writing its inspiring.  I do have a lot to share, being able to live in different countries has been handy in life; Some of my friends might actually learn a thing or two about me yet it is mainly for my son.  So, it would be more like a diary including past and present experiences. If my post starts with (*) its because that specific post belongs to me, its a past experience that I am sharing yet I since I am a dreamer, I have the dream that one day my life will be published in a book or a movie so * i